Best Wedding Dress Preservation & Storage Boxing – Should I vacuum seal my Wedding Dress?
Every bride wishes to preserve their wedding dress forever. It is a sweet tradition to pass the love and happiness to the next generations. A daughter wearing her mother’s wedding dresses is such a sweet and warm inheritance. That why you should understand everything about wedding dress preservation.
The top preservation experts are all working in museums. They are able to preserve a historic piece of clothing for many many years. If you want to understand more about how do professionals store a clothing, you must read the article from the British Museum.
Simply putting the dress in the closet is not enough. If you do not pay attention to maintenance, tiny black spots and folds may will eventually appear. How to save my wedding dress? How to store my wedding dress professionally? Let’s take a look and see how to preserve a wedding like a pro!
- Best Wedding Dress Preservation Tips
- 6 Steps Guideline DIY Wedding Dress Preservation at home by myself
- Regular inspection
- Extra tips on Best Wedding Dress Preservation and Storage Boxing
- Best Wedding Dress Preservation Method
- How to restore yellowed wedding dresses? Best wedding dress preservation tips to clean & remove the yellowing on your wedding dress!
- Additional DIY Tips to clean my yellowed wedding dress
- What should I do if my wedding dress is not shiny after washing? Why does my wedding dress turns rough after washing?
- Vacuum Sealing – Best way to preserve a Wedding Dress?
- Never vacuum seal your wedding dress! Don’t even think about it!
Best Wedding Dress Preservation Tips
1. Clean as soon as possible
The Best wedding dress cleaning time must be as soon as possible. As time goes by, all sorts of invisible chemical reactions are happening to the dress. Stains can penetrate deep into the fabric. The best time to clean is after the wedding. Various stains and foreign bodies will erode the wedding dress.
Wet washing: The best way is to put the wedding dress in water mixed with a mild and neutral detergent (choose a detergent according to the nature of the fabric) and soak it for a while, which can be washed away The stains left by red wine and meat oil on the banquet should be soaked a little more to remove invisible stains such as sweat stains and white wine stains; washing machine and dehydration must not be used, otherwise the decorations will fall off.
Dry cleaning: Some wedding dresses require dry cleaning, especially Silk, acetate, rayon and wool. Must use filtered solvent to clean, and determine the location of the stain, otherwise there will be residues.
Warm reminder: Some cleaning chambers recommend the use of special cleaning methods. In fact, it is unnecessary and expensive. Therefore, you must choose a reputable cleaning chamber to be assured. Open the package for inspection after cleaning.
For the cleaning of wedding dresses, you should find a professional and reliable dress cleaning company. They will customize a special cleaning process according to the material, accessories and stains of the dress. Local laundry shops is are not professional, and they might not have the necessary tools. As a result, invisible stains will oxidize and eventually fade into yellow over time. We often receive brides bringing back the laundry shop treated dresses for us to rescue.
3. How to store the wedding dress
Store your wedding dress in a cool and dry indoor place. We often recommend brides to store the wedding dress under your bed or in a secured storeroom. The temperature should be stable, and the wedding dress should be prevented from UV, sunlight, dust, and insects. If your wedding dress has been cleaned and boxed, you only need to put the box in a reliable place.
6 Steps Guideline DIY Wedding Dress Preservation at home by myself
- Do not use plastic bags, as this may leave plastic stains on the dres
2. Wrap the wedding dress with acid-free tissue paper. Do not leave any chance for the fabric to be exposed to the air
3. Remove any metal buttons, metal buckles, pins and sponge shoulder pads and store them separately These accessories can chemically change over time, and damage the wedding dress.
4. Fold the wedding dress as little as possible to avoid folding marks
5. Place it into a sturdy storage box
6. Store it in a storeroom or under your bed
From time to time, you should keep check the status of the wedding dress. We recommend to do so once a year. Pay attention to the originally stained areas. Check carefully for any unusual development of stains, smell and colour. The earlier you notice the problem, the easier it is to avoid it. Of course, you can always seek for expert advises from Professionals.
Extra tips on Best Wedding Dress Preservation and Storage Boxing
- First, do not hang the dress during storage. Lay it flat. The wedding dress is bulky, and particularly heavy at the bottom. Long term hanging can tear about the upper part of the dress. Dislocation of certain sections can happen.
- Next, when you inspect your wedding dress, make be sure to wear a pair of gloves. Your hands are dirty, and may contain invisible germs, dirt, hand cream and sweat that might stain the dress.
- Never use colored paper to wrap the wedding dress. If the paper get into contact with any sort of moisture, the dye can get on the dress.
- Find out the texture. When buying a wedding dress, be sure to ask what the material of the wedding dress is, and what are the small beads made of. Different textures have different maintenance details. You should also ask about emergency treatment methods. For example, if wine or champagne is stained on the wedding dress, you should immediately put a towel under the wedding dress, scrub it with white vinegar or detergent, and then dry it with absorbent paper to avoid leaving marks.
- Drying the wedding dress: The wedding dress should be dried thoroughly after washing. Never expose it to the scorching sun. The wedding dress is easy to tear, and the skirt, sequins, and decorative flowers are also easy to fall off. Turn out the clothes when drying them to avoid direct sunlight and sun exposure to damage the wedding dress; it is best not to hang the wedding dress because it will deform the wedding dress. It is better to lay it out and store it after drying.
- After Drying, the wedding dresses should be stored in a cool and dry place, such as a closet or even under the bed. Remember, do not hang up the wedding dress, because over time, a small amount of wedding dresses will produce hanging force and pull the skirt. Long or even torn. The worst thing is to put it in the attic or basement. Putting it in the attic will cause the wedding dress to heat and fade, and putting it in the basement will cause mold. The large skirt hoop in the wedding dress can be twisted for collection, but every year when the clothes are dried, the skirt hoop should be restored to its original shape to avoid losing its elasticity. Also, there are 2 small issues that must be mentioned: one is that you must wash your hands before collecting the wedding dress, otherwise the wedding dress will have a small yellow spot over time.
- In addition, the large skirt hoop in the wedding dress can be twisted and stored, but it is reprinted every year When clothing, the skirt hoop should be restored to its original shape to prevent it from losing its elasticity. If it is a bride who is afraid of trouble, we do not recommend to buy a wedding dress. Instead, just rent a wedding dress, so that it will not be troublesome.
Best Wedding Dress Preservation Method
If you want to take care of it, you can buy a large piece of plastic paper like a plastic bag, cut it out to the size of the wedding dress, and stick it on the interface with tape. The packaging is better when supported by a hanger, which is much more convenient. Then hang it in the closet so that it won’t get dirty and won’t wrinkle when hung up. Put some desiccant. Prevent the wedding dress from discoloration and yellowing. It is enough to expose it once a year. Finally, never put it under direct sunlight, otherwise it won’t last long.
Read More: Wedding Dress Preservation Box
How to restore yellowed wedding dresses? Best wedding dress preservation tips to clean & remove the yellowing on your wedding dress!
The yellowing of wedding dress is a common problem. The stubborn stains have a high binding fastness to the fibers of the wedding dress, and it is difficult to wash with household detergents. It is recommended to use Spot Soaking to clean it, especially for complicated design. Apply the oxidation principle to easily remove the stains. Fabrics of different materials and colors have different processing methods, as follows:
1. Dissolve the laundry detergent with brightening and brightening liquid in water. Dilute and stir evenly, put in the dress, and wash the whole. If the yellowing of the wedding dress still does not improve,
1) White wedding dress made of cotton and polyester:
1 bottle cap (40g) per half basin of water (about 2 liters) plus white wedding dress color mesh (600g specification)
*Soaking time can be according to needs extend. If the stains are still not removed after 2 hours, take out the dress, add the white dress into the basin (add 1 bottle cap for each half of the basin), stir evenly, add the dress and continue soaking. The cumulative soaking time should not exceed 6 hours.
2) Colored wedding dresses:
Pour a small amount of water (about 0.5 liters) into the basin, measure out 1.5 bottles of colored wedding dresses (600g specifications) with color stains on the caps (60g each), add them to the water and mix well. Soak in the wedding dress overnight and rinse it off. The water should make the wedding dress just moist, and the color stains and the net amount of the collar of the colored wedding dress should be increased or decreased according to the amount of water. If stains are still not removed after soaking overnight, you can continue to extend the soaking time.
- The stain of white wedding dress is suitable for white cotton, linen, polyester, polyester cotton, cotton and linen fabrics, but not for colored wedding dress (including white background stripes, white background grids, white background printing), silk wool spandex nylon and other chlorine-free bleached wedding dress. It is not advised to use the original solution directly.
- The color stains of colored wedding dresses are not suitable for faded wedding dresses and dry-cleaned wedding dresses. Avoid contact with metal buttons, zippers, metal ornaments, etc. Wear it on a wedding dress and avoid direct sunlight.
Additional DIY Tips to clean my yellowed wedding dress
1. Bleach with disinfectant. Soak in water with disinfectant or bleach. This method should pay attention to the ratio of disinfectant to water and soaking time. Disinfectants have strong detergency but are harmful to wedding dress. It is recommended to soak in clean water for 15-30 minutes after rinsing to reduce the damage of disinfectant to wedding dress.
2. Soak the orange peel in water. When washing the white wedding dress, boil the orange peel in a pot. Soak the wedding dress in the water and rub it to make the wedding dress white as new. Different from the artificial fluorescent whitening agents on the market, which has side effects on the skin. This method is rather simple and natural, and does not damage the fabric. It is a good method worth trying. Use ammonia water to remove yellow stains caused by sweating: sweat stains caused by sweating, because the sweat containing fat is easy to condense in the fabric fibers, so add about 2 tablespoons of ammonia water when washing, soak for a few minutes, scrub, wash with water, and then wash as usual. This procedure removes yellow and yellow sweat stains!
3. Lemon has a bleaching effect. Adding water and lemon juice to bleach laundry also has a bleaching effect. Put 2 ~ 3 slices of lemon in hot water, then soak the washed wedding dress for 10 minutes, it can be easily washed.
4. Control the water temperature. The wedding dress is best washed with cold water, or the temperature of the rinsing water is similar to that of the washing water. For example, after washing the wedding dress with warm detergent or soapy water, it is best to rinse it with water of similar temperature for the first time. If the dress is put into cold water immediately after washing, the detergent contained in the fibers will be surrounded by the sudden cooling and shrinkage of the dress, making it difficult to wash. The detergent left in the wedding dress will turn yellow and dirty, so wash it off the next day.
5. Avoid machine washing: Use washing liquid specially designed for washing silk and wool fabrics. Turn the dress upside down and put them in cold water. Please refer to the instructions for the amount of washing liquid. Soak the dress for 5 to 10 minutes. Rub gently with your hands, but don’t rub hard. Rinse with cold water three times after washing. Don’t screw it too tight, just screw it lightly.
6. Do not spray deodorant or perfume on the surface of the dress. Do not store with mothballs to avoid discoloration.
What should I do if my wedding dress is not shiny after washing? Why does my wedding dress turns rough after washing?
High quality wedding dresses are mostly made of Silk. The fabric is very delicate. If you are not careful, it will cause fluffing. Do not use force to rub or machine cleaning.
Firstly when washing, silk products should be soaked in clean water for 5-10 minutes, wipe gently with special silk detergent, synthetic low-foaming detergent or neutral soap, and then rinse in clean water. In order to protect the color of the dress, put a basin of water after washing, put two or three drops of vinegar in the water, soak for 5 minutes, take it out, and dry the back in the shade.
High-grade silk fabrics are best to be dry cleaned. When it is dry, it should face out, preferably in a cool place, away from direct sunlight. Take it off when 80% is dry, the dress will not change color easily. Silk is a natural fiber fabric. It has a light and thin texture, soft and smooth, strong air permeability, comfortable and cool to wear, elegant and unique. It is an ideal summer wedding dress fabric. Silk fibers cannot withstand friction.
In general, care should be taken not to let rough-surfaced furniture and objects rub their surfaces. Never place it on mats, wicker chairs, and wooden boards as silk fibers are relatively thin and cannot withstand excessive friction. It is best not to scrape the dress. Because the long fibers of silk fabrics are not as good as other blended fiber fabrics, they are prone to entanglement under the influence of external forces, which is also called arranging and unwinding.
Pay attention here
Wedding dresses should not be hung for a long time, because they will stretch due to their own weight and deform the dress. When storing, place the box on the top level of the cabinets to avoid wrinkles.
It is important to control the water temperature when washing silk dress. It is best to keep it at about 30 degrees, not too hot or too cold, otherwise it will damage the fabric of the dress. You should use clean tap water, not too much water, just don’t wear dress.
There are many varieties of silk, and we strongly recommend brides to check the washing label of the dress before washing. Some varieties are not suitable for washing, such as floral satin, brocade, ancient satin, golden crepe, golden velvet, etc.
In addition, most varieties are suitable for dry cleaning, such as velvet, suede, and georgette; some can be washed with water. Soak in cold water for about 10 minutes before washing. The soaking time should not be too long. Dark colors are generally easy to fade, so it is not advisable to soak for a long time when washing with cold or warm water; gently rub and wash, avoid rubbing hard. Choose light gears during machine cleaning.
Finally, the boxes and cabinets for storing dress should be kept clean and dry. Seal the box as much as possible to prevent dust. Do not spray deodorant or perfume, and do not put mothballs.
Vacuum Sealing – Best way to preserve a Wedding Dress?
Nowadays, brides are often arguing about this topic. Should I store & preserve my wedding dress by vacuum sealing it inside a vacuum
First of all, to find out the answer, we need to understand the mechanism of vacuum sealing. Vacuum Bags, or Compression bags, are now very common in our daily lives. It was originally used extensively in food processing and preservation. Nowadays, many people use it for clothes & garment storage.
One of the major benefits of vacuum sealing is storage space. Once the clothing or bedding items is vacuumed sealed in a compression bag, the size is at least 3-4 times smaller than it’s original size. This is especially great for saving space
Moreover, garment compression bags are much more tougher than normal food vacuum bags. The quality is very high, while the material requirements are stricter. People love to vacuum bags store their off-season clothings, winter jackets, thick quilt as well as large pillows.
Once the items are vacuum sealed, 99% of the problems can be solved, including dust, moisture, moulding and insects. Basically, the garments can be kept in the bag forever, while keeping its original fresh look.
Never vacuum seal your wedding dress! Don’t even think about it!
Wedding dresses are different from regular clothings or bedding items. They are usually made of delicate and organic fabrics such as silk. Just like human, fabrics need to breathe as well. Squeezing out the air removes the oxygen, which deforms the dress. The quality and shape of the fabric can be affected.
In addition to that, it has many layers, decorations, embroideries, and accessories. All of these should not be compressed for long term, as prolonged pressure may damage and destroy the items.
You may notice that wedding dresses are structured in a particular shape. Inside the dress, there might be sturdy parts to support the structure and design. Vacuum sealing the wedding dress can deform the dress structure, and basically ruining the whole dress. In summary, we do not suggest our customers to use vacuum bags for weeding dress preservation or storage.
Best Wedding dress preservation